Thursday, June 2, 2011

Marie's Italyun Dressing

I love olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. My grandma used to make it like that and to me it tastes like Italy. She could pour it out of the bottles and right on the salad and it would be perfect every time.
sorry about the lousy photo, took it with my phone ;-D
On Sundays as a child we would eat at grandma's house and every time we would have spaghetti and salad with garlic bread. I though am not that good, if I pour it out of the bottles, no one else will eat it. I make it too vinegary, I like it like that though ;-D
I had to come up with something that would work every time.
You are supposed to add sugar to Italian dressing recipes, I do not like sugar in my dressing. If you like it sweet you can add up to a tablespoon of sugar ;-P Add sugar with the rest of the dry ingredients.

Use something that you can shake over and over again, like a 16 ounce pop bottle.
Or a shaker bottle with tight lid.
Do not store in the fridge. Makes the olive oil hard. Cool cupboard is good.
Lasts for a couple of weeks.
The fresher the ingredients the better the dressing is.
Make one day and serve the next. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.
Agitate until one color and the Olive oil is not separated.

Put them in the bottle in the order given.


4 ounces (1/2 cup) of red wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated onions
3 cloves pressed garlic

8 ounces (1 cup) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Enjoy ;-D

PS. I forgot to tell you it makes a great chicken maranade too.
Pour it over the chicken and let sit all day.
Cover with foil and bake, about 3/4 of the way through.
Take off the foil and bake some more.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Marie. Funny you should have this post about salad dressing because I made salad dressing yesterday for dinner. I did add just a sprinkling of sugar to offset the lemon and the wine vinegar. Excellent when we make our own. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much better to make your own isn't it Gloria? It tastes way better than anything I have ever found in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, this is the same recipe I made many years ago when I was still living at home. I never liked bottled dressings (times have changed though!), and after I joined Weight Watchers at 17, there was a salad dressing recipe in the little booklet. After that, I made it all the time and my mother and I loved it...the rest of the family enjoyed their bottled French (:(~

    Thank you so much for posting it...I plan on making it tonight...can't wait!! Thanks for the memories too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect and I did not know I could store it in the cupboard. I will have to add a spoonful of sugar to this however. Thanks Marie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgin it is a pretty basic recipe and it can be switched out a lot too. Sesame oil and rice vinegar works nice too.
    Fruit like raspberries and made sweet is nice too.
    I just like the plain italian because it is one of my comfort foods.
    I don't care for bottled becuase of all the extra stuff they put in it.
    This is a bare bones recipe and good for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna there is nothing in it that will go bad. I have had some the cupboard for months. It usually only lasts a couple of weeks before I have to make more I eat it so fast. The garlic is the only fresh thing that will reall "go bad" and that takes a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a yummie dressing Marie! I also prever selfmade,because they put a lot of bad stuff in bottled ones :-(
    I always use olive oil when i make dinner cause its the most healthy oil :-) and sometines sunflower oil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks sooo good, will have to make! I usually make my own dressing too with vinegar and olive oil and a little lemon juice and pepper. Thanks for sharing Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is verrrry good! In my opnion of course. ;-D
    I prefer the homemade to bottles any day.
    This tastes like fresh breezy days in my mouth. I love that.
    I don't like all of the stuff they add to make it be able to stay on the shelf for a hundred years.
    But I make a lot of my own things for both those reasons, anyway.
    I love food and I love the clean, pure, taste of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds wonderful too, Caroline!
    I don't use the lemon, I would if I had a lemon tree though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks for your recipe. When I make my own dressing, I sometimes add honey in stead of sugar, it also sweetens the taste and is a more natural ingrediƫnt I feel. You can also add a tablespoon of yoghurt for a creamy look and taste. But then you have to keep the bottle in the fridge.
    Have a nice weekend ! Greetings from Belgium, Rozemie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That salad looks so yummy!!!! I had asked George last night if he thought I could get salad down. Have been craving it and Italian dressing too. So going to try to eat salad tonight.
    Love you my friend.
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your recipe Marie! Sounds especially yummy as a marinade on chicken, I'm definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the honey and the yogurt are great ideas Rozemie.
    Very good! I will have to try the yogurt.
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh good luck Dede!! I can not image going with out salad.
    What if you let it soak in the dressing overnight? The lettuce would be softer then.
    Hugs to you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is pretty darn good Trina!
    The chicken is juicy and tender to if baked in the whole recipe.
    Have fun and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net