Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday Wonder-body part art

From Rachel's Esty store it is only 45$
OK, I have to admit that this kind of grosses me out and in a weird way I can not stop looking at it.
I wonder if she peroxides them before she use them.?
I think this does qualify for non traditional medium, even though we have been making brushes out of hair and lockets of hair to remember loved ones, but Fingernails?????????????
Does she only use her fingernails?? And toenails? Ewwwwwwwwwwww!
Do you ship your cuttings to her to work with? Ewwwwwwww!
Oh the questions in my mind are just jumping, nothing new though.
I am looking at my fingernails now and thinking ewwwwwwww!

This is from an Etsy shop from bettyraecase-Human Ivory & Other Objects of Curiosity. You know you have to go look now.


How about a Belly Button Lint bear  you buy 4 you get one free.
You know you want to. :-D

"Rachel Case was born in 1985 and raised in Lopatcong, NJ. As a child, she loved viewing and making art. Both of her parents were very supportive of her creativity and gave her complete artistic freedom in her bedroom. The walls were covered with doodles, messages, and image clippings. Childhood is a large influence in Rachel’s artwork today."
From the http://www.thatwomanmakescrazyart.com/rachelbiography

This is the link to her shoppe page
http://www.thatwomanmakescrazyart.com/shoppe


When I first saw this I somehow pictured a man doing it. Look at that judgement getting in my way. You go girl!


they really are amazing, yes?? all Photos courtesy of Rachel
http://www.etsy.com/listing/59400000/nectar-wasp-in-human-ivory-with-glass
THIS PIECE FEATURED IN NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC KIDS MAGAZINE SUMMER 2010! Oh! And to think it could be yours!


 Know that when you order from Rachel it is going to take up to a month to get your special piece.


Fetus Skeleton


"AFTER HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A GUEST APPEARANCE ON THE TELEVISION SHOW "ODDITIES," I HAVE BEEN GENEROUSLY FLOODED WITH ORDERS AND CUSTOM PIECES! THIS IS A SUPER EXCITING TIME FOR ME AND I AM HAPPY TO HAVE ALL OF THE WORK. HOWEVER, IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU KNOW THAT WHATEVER YOU ORDER HAS A PRODUCTION TURN-AROUND TIME OF 3 WEEKS TO A MONTH. MY PROCESS IS TIME CONSUMING (creating micro sculptures, the curing of resins, hand sanding, etc.) AND I TAKE CARE IN ALL THAT I DO. I'M HAPPY TO TALK WITH YOU ABOUT YOUR IDEAS, SO PLEASE CONVO ME. OTHERWISE, EXPECT A SWEET PACKAGE FROM ME IN A MONTH AND A FEW DAYS. AND THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!"

Check out Rachel's portfolio
http://www.thatwomanmakescrazyart.com/portfolio

And here some of my questions answered
http://www.thatwomanmakescrazyart.com/RiversideLetter



I love Wednesday wonders.

32 comments:

  1. OH...MY...
    And I thought I saved odd things.
    I guess this shoots the *odd things in my hand* photos right out the window! LOL!!!

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across Rachel's work before and it has a certain beauty, although I sometimes shudder, when I think about toe and fingernails. *lol* And those belly button lint bears made me laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm, I'm kinda speechless! I can appreciate the art but there is a certain amount of gross & Ewwww involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do save odd things and it is ok Anne, they are not fingernails and toenails, LOL!!
    And please don't stop odd things in my hand, I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them too, as odd as they are Koko, but bleach comes to mind to me. I do love the translucency of the nails though.
    I will admit, I am fascinated by odd things.
    No one has that much lint, do they?
    Seems like they should cost more to me.
    Must take months to build up that kind of lint. ewwwwwwwwwwww!
    She has definitely made a statement and caused people to think, which is what art does right?
    A+++++++++++++ Rachel.
    Ear wax candles, have you thought of that yet???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay so I'm sorta at a loss for words. That my dear just might be a first. The Olde Bagg, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummmmmm, no thank you! I won't go see the real human bodies "art exhibit" either. I like your clay works!!!
    **kisskiss** Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG A huge belly laugh just erupted from me!!
    Thank you so much Linda.
    My daughter told me she threw up a little. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would go to the human bodies exhibt, like I said I adore odd.
    Deb, but there is just something about fingernails and toenails, mega ewwwwwwwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have what my husband calls a "cabinet of curiosities"...a bird skeleton, empty bird-egg shells, part of a coyote jawbone, a couple of really cool dead bugs, rattlesnake rattles, etc.

    But, um, no fingernails or belly button lint. They don't gross me out, it's just that familiarity breeds, well, too much familiarity. :~P
    Jan
    My work verification was "suckwati" heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does she do appendices or gallbladders? I wonder if she will knit pubic hair or make a necklace from an extracted tooth?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feathers too, right Jan?? I have that cabinet. LOL!!
    Special rocks too. I love it.
    I know exactly what you are saying about the familiar.
    suckwati, oh how perfect, roflmao!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I love Rachel's art because it has providied me with a fun filled morning!
    It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ces, you forgot gallstone block walls... or rings and earrings.
    ROFLMAO!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Marie, you sure know how to make me laugh! eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah, ahem....i have this 'problem' hearing about bodily functions and i think this qualifies. holy moley!

    i cannot bring myself to make additional suggestions although i could be capable of that. and i thought i had trouble with the dead ant art :)

    holy moley! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok .. ewwwww!! I thought I had seen it all and then this! It sure is never boring here!! Much love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know what to say! LOL! Although it's not my thing, I found this post really cool and interesting!! Great one Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now you know I LOVE weird and starnge things so all of this is pretty cool in my book. LOL
    Thanks for sharing
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad I made you laugh Donna.
    That is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It makes me shudder kj. I didn't know your body phobias included nails.

    Dead Ant art????? Where??
    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. And you know Silke, Rachel is a very talented artist, go look at her portfolio.
    It is this though that is getting her the acclaim. Now that is what is sad. She is very talented.
    Well, maybe this and the tampon dress. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, it really not your every day art medium is it MLCrow?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love weird and strange too, but nails Beadwright???
    LOL!! I am so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Weird stuff, but calling it Human Ivory??? Fingernails are made from a tough protein called Keratin, not Ivory. Ivory is dentine. Well, it least she's not using Boogers and puts those things under resin for wearable pieces.
    Personally I'm kinda grossed out by it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now THAT's thinking outside the box! I don't know if I'd actually wear it, but I certainly enjoy studying it.

    One of my biggest pet peeves: people who clip their fingernails in public places. In the name of art, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  27. But an excellent conversation starter, eh Yvonne?

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL!! Boogers now that could be very interesting Tina.
    Wonder if she could make bears out of those?
    Would she use her boyfriends or her own?
    LOL!! Just too funny to think about in a yucky kind of way!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, I am curious to know what was the first inspiration.
    Sitting around on the couch at night clipping nails.
    "Hmmmmmmmmm that looks just like a bee and that one a fetus. We could make some jewelry from this"
    LOL!!
    Do you think some form of intoxication was involved??
    Oh ho ho ho!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow...wow. LOL I'm at a loss for words! LOL Interesting stuff, Marie! Theresa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net