Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lapis Lazuli







Lapis Lazuli
One of the clay colors I like to make with Piñata inks is Lapis Lazuli. I love this one and have used it since the Piñatas came out, over any other mix. So easy!
I taught this at PCCMMR in my Powders, paints, and inks class.



Sapphire Blue Piñata
Gold leaf
=
Lapis Lazuli
You will need a piece of felt to spread the ink (thank you Tim Holtz for showing me how to use felt like this all those years ago. Cute and Genius)



1. Condition a ¼ block of porcelain white Cernit


2. Flatten out in to a little pancake about 1/8" to ¼" thick



3. Put a couple of drops on to the clay and drag it around the whole surface with the felt and let it dry
4. When dry mix ink into the clay









5. Do steps 2 and 3 again, if the color looks really strong you can stop here if not do steps 2 and 3 again. I added ink 3 times in this example. The clay will darken after baking











6. Add gold leaf to the top flattened sheet, mix in. It is easy to take the clay to the leaf and pull the clay and the leaf away from the whole sheet than to take the sheet to the clay.










7. Roll out in the pasta machine; I used the 5th thickest setting and bake pressed to a smooth ceramic tile (less sanding)



8. Bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 30 minutes (you have to heat the tile too)
9. Take out of the oven hot and submerge in ice water till cool (clears it up more)
10. Sand and buff or… not!
Tah-dah




6 comments:

  1. I'm so wanting to do some of these things. What's the difference in Pinata's inks and Adirondack's Alcohol inks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... the colors, the intensities, and the manufacturers.
    They can both be used the same ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie I love this tutorial, thank you for being you and sharing this knowledge. Beautiful colours.
    I will try this. I love trying new things.
    I am not sure if I can get the inks here in OZ, but have heard how to make my own with Rubbing alcohol, and will try that first.
    Love XXXX
    elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness...this is so neat....You are so sweet to teach us ....I think I need to try out some new things....thanks or the inspiration Marie!!!

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Elizabeth. It is my pleasure.
    Have fun and thanks so much for the link!
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so welcome Diana.
    I bet you would be great at this too!
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net