Wednesday, April 27, 2011

African Trade Beads- Part 11

Remember this cane
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2011/04/african-trade-beads-part-8.html
I am going to share with you how to make this center piece above.
I also use this technique to do these earrings below.


So get some of the cane from African trade beads part 8, I like the canes with stripes on the outside for this technique.



Roll the cane down to 1/4" in diameter and cut 1/4" sections.

















Separate the sections and place them about 1/8" apart.















 One in the middle and 6 around the outside.

















Take your time and place them all the same distance apart. If you are doing the ring of canes that you see in the earrings above. I set the canes right next to each other in a circle.















Look closely there is a piece of Plexiglas over the canes that were set out. Press down evenly and flatten to about 1/8" thick.

I also have the canes sitting on a work surface or a marble top when I do this.














Peel off of the surface that the canes stick to or run your clay slicing blade under it to remove from the surface.


















It is thin, see!















Using a knitting needle poke the hole where you would like it to be!
You can move the point in little circles to widen it.

Part 12
http://mariesegal.blogspot.com/2011/05/african-trade-beads-part-12-shinning.html

10 comments:

  1. oh I love these!!! wow Marie!!! amazing work....makes me want to try it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I sent a friend to see your tutorials. If you haven't done it yet be sure to come to my blog birthday part.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to amaze and delight me with your fabulous tutorials. well done, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock, Marie. Thanks for another fabulous tutorial! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love your African Trade Bead series. I just found it tonight and read all the posts starting with #1. Can you share how you keep the flattened slices from falling apart after they are baked? Just wondering as I have attempted something like this but it always falls apart! Thanks so much for sharing with all of us! Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Diana. You should try it!
    I hope you and Cole are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Nicole!!
    I have been having trouble staying on blogger and visiting, the sites shut my computer down.
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so welcome Theresa, it is all my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many things can be the reason for this.
    Operator error.
    The clay.
    baking, temp and time.
    And maybe more than that.
    We decided it wasn't you.
    It was the clay.
    And you were following the instructions.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net