Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sandy Camp-The Butterfly Project


This is something that we got in to at Sandy Camp.
I was moved by the involvement and the message. Varda Levram-Ellisman and Ellie Hitchcock coordinated this project for Sandy Camp, thank you ladies for your efforts. Tina Goodrich made over a hundred butterflies.
You too can become involved in this.




Photo taken and copywrite 2008 by Irene Niehorster
http://www.hmh.org/
Holocaust Museum Houston
5401 Caroline St.
Houston, Texas 77004-6804713-942-8000
http://www.hmh.org/minisite/butterfly/index.html
The Butterfly Project

"The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto."

Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942
Born in Prague on January 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on September 29, 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net