Thursday, December 10, 2009

Flower Cane







1/2 block of porcelain white or translucent Cernit
1 small pea size piece of colored Cernit
1 block of opaque white Cernit
Scrap clay or other colors to make the beads out of
Clay blade
Pasta machine
For all of the products above, you can get them at my husbands on line store.
http://www.clayfactory.net/


1. Condition a half of block of Cernit porcelain white or translucent until soft and pliable.

2. Add a small pea size ball of color to the conditioned half block of clay. Mix until it is one color.

3 Roll the colored clay in to a plug that is about 1" in diameter.

4. Condition and roll out the Opaque white clay on the 5th thickest setting in the pasta machine. Trim one edge of this sheet to get a straight edge.


5. Lay the colored clay plug on the straight edge and cut a strip the width of the plug and long enough to wrap around the plug.

6. Roll up the plug in the sheet.

7. Roll the plug over the sheet in front of the plug gently and roll the plug back. Cut inside the line you will see on the sheet with the blade.

8. Remove the excess sheet, set aside, and then roll the plug and sheet up. The ends will match or very close.
Press the edges together and smooth the seam away.




9. Cut the plug on the side with your clay blade about half way through the plug. Do not cut where the seam was.

10. Gently move the cut open and take the excess sheet and place in to the opened cut. Close up the cut in the clay with the excess piece inside the plug.

11. Trim the excess sheet off at the edge of the opening on the plug.

12. Make another cut in to the plug on one side of the center cut and place the excess sheet piece in to this cut and trim away the excess level with the plug side.

13. Do this again on the other side of the center cut.

14. Close all the cuts with sheets and gently press everything together.

15. Compact the whole plug together.
Squeeze it in the center from all sides to form a little waist. As you rotate and press the cane move up to one end of the cane. Then turn the cane over and start at the center waist and rotate and press and you move up to the other end. I keep doing this until the cane or plug is longer and half of the size around that it was. Do not worry about lumps and bumps. The rolling will take the lumps out. By compacting the plug this way, it will keep the cane from shifting as much inside.
Then place on your work surface and roll the whole log down to about 3/8" in diameter.
You will need 5 pieces about the same length for the petals.


16.  Make a little pinch on one side of each of the petal logs where lines come to the outside of the log. Turn over the logs to the other end and pinch each one of those ends.

17. Line up the pinches on a log by holding the pinches and rocking them in to alignment.
Then pinch down the length of the cane from pinch to pinch. Do this to all 5 pieces.
Make the point on the log down the side pretty sharp.



18. Place three of the logs together with the points in the middle. There will be a little canal or channel down the center of the three logs.

19. Roll a small coil 1/8" or a little larger depending on the size of the channel to go in the center.











20. Now place in the other two petals lining them up from one end to the other.
Gently press from one end to the other on each petal to press it together.

21. You can pack the outside with color or you can coax the cane down by gently sliding your finger and your thumb down the dips on opposite sides. Then turning the cane around and sliding down the length of the cane again. You keep turning and sliding and the cane will lengthen. Then I turn the cane over from end to end and do it the same process again. It will not be all perfect and you will have a knobby end, I take advantage of the smaller and larger flowers when I use them. This is a very gentle process. If the dips fill in you can run a tool down the length of the cane.




22. This is the cane pulled out. You slice these off as thin as possible and place on to a core of clay in the color of your choice.
It is not imperative for the beads I do to have the complete cane slice and when I roll these in to the core it will give the illusion of many layers.





It is important to watch color that you apply the slices to, it will change the color of the petals.

28 comments:

  1. very pretty flower beads! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my heavnes!!! that is so neat Marie!!! wow....I love the pieces you created with your flower cane...wow!!!

    You are so talented and such an inspiration!!!!

    Hugs
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I've always been intrigued how people do this! Very well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...My...Gosh...
    I could never get clay to look like that, as I tried this once and it was such an abysmal failure, I swore (a lot!) never o try it again!
    Thus, I admire anyone with the skill to make these delicate and beautiful creations!
    great reading the process on this!!!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you and you are so welcome Owlsome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Diana, you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With your talent Anne, you could do this.
    Maybe you need to try again.
    I will help you!!
    Thank you so much for your kind words, you made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so welcome Jennifer Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh, you make it sound so simple but no way could I be that patient!!! Lovely, Marie, just lovely. **blows merry kisses** Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very cool Marie! I just learned to make a round white ball so I'll have to revisit this one when I get more experience under my belt. haha
    Thanks so much for your visit today!!
    You are so gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks wonderful person, I can not wait to make them up. You really do inspire me.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing! Love and hugs! So glad you all are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Renee!!
    Love and hugs, my pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is simple Deb, repeating the same steps over and over again.
    Trust me!!
    You could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A round ball is a very vital part of working with polymer clay Darla.
    Beleive me, you did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwwwwwwwwww Susan, you made my day!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lynda, love and hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are STUNNING, Marie! Truly so beautiful and delicate. This is one of the things I'd like to attempt. Maybe soon.

    I'm so sorry you've been sick lately. Since Thanksgiving? That's a pretty long time. Good to hear you're on the mend, though.

    And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the fabulous book! All the little figurines are incredibly adorable. What a fantastic book to have. Thank you, thank you. You are the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is that not the cutest book Bella? Shelly is a very talented woman and one of the nicest people I have ever met. I have a couple of her pieces and they are even cuter in person.
    Thank you for the well wishes, what ever I got seems to be hanging on still.
    And thank you so much for the compliments on my beads. They are so fun to make and I like that they look so different before they are baked. It is always a wonderful surprise to see them come out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh you make it look so easy pesy Marie!!! It's beautiful~: )

    I also wanted to tell you I got the delightful book you send... Thank you!
    Hope you're doing well~
    Love~Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is easy pesy Pattee!! Thank you.
    I am glad you got the book!!
    I get better everyday, thanks so much for caring.
    I hope you are warm and well.
    Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, that's so amazing! What a beautiful craft.

    I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to do this though.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh My goodness gracious! You have been busy! BUSY! My Christmas tree boasts the most beautiful and intricate star that is shining out loud! THANK YOU sweetness! TSUP! TSUP!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey there, Miss Marie. Here's wishing you and your family a very merry, merry Christmas. I hope Santa spoils that adorable Madi, because she has been nothing but good this year. Everyone knows that. And you, too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. Please leave your words of wisdom. I look forward to them and I so enjoy reading them all.
Live to love, Love to create, and create to connect.
Marie

www.mariesegal.com
www.clayfactory.net